Professional Biography

My photo
Midwest, United States
For the past fifteen years, Pam Pleviak, MLIS has been dedicated to exploring innovative technologies, teaching students and staff and reading. She looks for the opportunity to provide a variety of staff development opportunities and has presented at institute days, lunch and learns, department workshops and IL-TEC in Springfield Illinois. She enthusiastically collaborates with colleagues across disciplines and to leverage talent for greater growth of students and staff. She serves as a key player on the the Professional Development Committee and co-wrote the latest district technology plan. Pam graduated Summa Cum Laude from Lake Forest College with a major in English. Her MLIS and Type 75 were earned from Dominican University. Her motto is: Many hands make light work.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Week 3 Concept Mapping




It's been years since I've tried Inspiration; in fact, the last time I used it, it needed to be loaded with floppy disks. The new version holds a more robust collection of images and formats. Using it, I've created two concept maps: one for evaluating secondary sources, and another to brainstorm the structure for a tech advisory committee that I'm going to co-chair this upcoming fall. Ordinarily, I think of myself as a right-brained thinker, but for some reason, creating concept maps is difficult for me. It's not how I think, but then, maybe the way I think isn't the way my students think, so using this as an organizer might be helpful for them. Perhaps using it in the research process would help them to better organize their thoughts.

This week led to more learning and more overwhelm. Bonk's 30 emerging technologies--especially since they were dated 2004, made me wonder how I would be able to assimilate all of this new information. The fact that 4 years have passed and even more technologies are on the horizon was not lost on me. Indeed, I think it helped me to better empathize with reluctant teachers. This week was an ambitious schedule given the holiday weekend and family in from out of town. Next week, is even more daunting with network down-time and a group project due. That plus, realizing that I was as rusty on writing objectives as I am on my eagle yoga pose, fills me with trepidation. Breathe...

Finishing up the week, I realized that I had somehow missed the Puzzles & Pattern Making Case Study. That was really discouraging. In my post regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the method presented, I couldn't resist a bit of alliteration and adding "Paint Drying". That article was really a tough go and I felt some empathy with our students when they are assigned a reading that they really don't connect with intellectually or in terms of interest. Yes, there were interesting and valid points, yet I think that in terms of direct applicability to the educational community, Marzano and Wiggins might have a niche opportunity in the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animoto Visual Tool for Learning

This is an example of an Animoto book trailer. I presented a teacher inservice for this visual tool at Warren-Newport Public Library in Gurnee, Illinois this summer.