Professional Biography

My photo
Midwest, United States
For the past fifteen years, Pam Pleviak, MLIS has been dedicated to exploring innovative technologies, teaching students and staff and reading. She looks for the opportunity to provide a variety of staff development opportunities and has presented at institute days, lunch and learns, department workshops and IL-TEC in Springfield Illinois. She enthusiastically collaborates with colleagues across disciplines and to leverage talent for greater growth of students and staff. She serves as a key player on the the Professional Development Committee and co-wrote the latest district technology plan. Pam graduated Summa Cum Laude from Lake Forest College with a major in English. Her MLIS and Type 75 were earned from Dominican University. Her motto is: Many hands make light work.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week 7 Final Project

How will we know as teachers that our students have learned? How can we assess that learning authentically? What tools will we use? How might those tools build a classroom community and enhance student engagement? These were some of the questions that I considered as I developed the final project over the past week. In the past, teamwork has figured heavily when I've worked on a unit. Usually, I'm working with my counterpart in the other building, or a social studies or English teacher; however, this project was more solitary. Nevertheless, I solicited input for English teachers, reading teachers, the summer reading assignment we have for incoming freshman and students from our online class. Yet, I see that before, I never really appreciated the magnitude of creating a new course solo. The other factor that became clear to me was the need for revision, field testing, feedback and validation. Wiggins talks this need for reflection and improvement, but now I see more clearly its importance. I know there will be things that I want to change in the future or that the teachers using it may wish to change, but for now I'm done. Where's the Sunday paper?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animoto Visual Tool for Learning

This is an example of an Animoto book trailer. I presented a teacher inservice for this visual tool at Warren-Newport Public Library in Gurnee, Illinois this summer.